Council Considers Plan for Reviving Exchange Studies

By Stephen L. Seftenderg

A plan to resume operation of the student council-sponsored German exchange Program, in connection with the proposed junior-year-abroad, in now being considered by the Councill Committee on International Activities.

The exchange program was dropped last year when the State department, which has previously guaranteed the transportation costs of German students curtailed its contribution.

Arnold Schuchter '55, chairman of the Council committee, said yesterday that any combined plan would be contingent upon University approval of the Council's junior-year-abroad program.

He said that under they combined programs now being considered, American students going abroad in their junior year would leave on deposit in this country a fixed amount of monkey that would cover a German student's expenses here, outside of travel and tuition. The Germans would arrange for a similar deposit in Germany to cover the American student's expenses. The total cost of the program to each group of students would be no more than normal expenses of such trips.

The University, as in the old program proposed by John W. Stokes '54 would assume the tuition costs.

The National Union of Students, the German counterpart of the National. Students Association, has promised that scholarships for American students would be established by the German universities.

Committee members said yesterday that any consideration of the combined program would be impossible until the funds covering transportation costs, withdrawn by the State department, had been made up.

The size of the fund deficit, $11,700, eliminates the Possibility that individual contributions will suffice, Schuchter said. A grant or grants by an outside organization, such as the Ford and Rockefeller foundations, however, would be one solution to this problem, he added.