Cornell Outclasses Varsity, 85-60, As Quintet Loses Eighth Straight

By Jack Rosenthal

Cornell won.

To say more would be almost superfluous, except to point out that the varsity basketball team bowed to the Big Red, 85 to 60, at the Blockhouse Saturday night.

For the Ithaca quintet, now leading the Eastern Intercollegiate league with a nine-win two-loss record, completely outclassed the Crimson, now in seventh place with an exactly reversed two-nine total.

The varsity now has lost its last eight straight games, six in league competition. Only ordeals with Yale and Penn remain to be suffered.

Sacks Breaks Record

The only thing the Crimson could salvage Saturday was an individual record: Harry Sacks sank 13 foul shots to up his season's total to 106 and break his own league record of 102 set last year.

Otherwise, the visitors' superiority was complete. When three minutes were over, they held a 14-to-5 lead; when three quarters were past, Cornell had boosted its lead to an insurmountable 63-42.

If an individual had dominated the scoring, the Crimson might have been able to tighten its defense sufficiently. But five of the visitors--one at each position--hit double figures.

Even the guards were hot. Co-Captain Dave Bradfield connected for 18 points; five-foot six-inch Chuck Rolles, a sophomore, scored 13. Rolles has been named, incidentally, to a United Press all-American team--the small stature team for players under 5-10.

Although Cornell is lacking its usual pivot man, John Sheehy, academically ineligible, his substitute, Ray Zelek, demonstrated the strength of the Ithaca bench, tossing in 16 points.

Lee Morton, who played the game at forward with a taped leg, was important around the backboard as well as the basket--he dropped in 13 points extending to 839 an all-time Cornell player scoring record he set Friday at Brown.

Meanwhile, the other forward Wendell MacPhee added 12 points, also handling a good share of rebounds.

Sacks was high for the game as well as the Crimson with 21 points, but Bill Dennis with 14 was the only other varsity player to break ten. Bob Bowman, who played most of the game at center for injured Dick Manning, sank only four points.

The Yardlings, however, extended their win streak to 14, trimming Tufts, 55 to 50. Captain Bob Dolven was high scorer with 15 and Bob Canty followed with 11