Du Bois Will Succeed Cam In Women's Professorship

Cora Du Bois, an anthropologist, will succeed the retiring Helen Maud Cam as Samuel Zemurray, Jr. and Doris Zemurray Stone-Radcliffe Professor, the College and Radcliffe announced yesterday.

Miss Du Bois was selected for the professorship, which is open to women scholars in any field of study, on the basis of a special committee's survey of the outstanding women of the scholarly world.

An authority on cross-cultural studies in personality, Miss Du Bois is known especially for her studies of California Indians and of Indonesian and South Asian peoples. She is the author of two books in her field.

For the past three years Miss Du Bois has been Director of Research for the Institute of International Education, in Washington, where she has been studying student exchange programs. She is now writing a book on the foreign student in the United States.

First Woman Professor

Miss Cam, who retires from the Zemurray - Radcliffe Professorship this June, was the University's first woman professor when she was named to the Chair in 1948. A native of England she is an authority on British Constitutional History, and especially on the Middle Ages.

The committee that recommended Miss Du Bois for the Professorship was under the chairmanship of President Katherine E. McBride of Bryan Mawr College, and included Radcliffe and Harvard scholars in all major academic fields.