New Library May Force Increases In Dudley House Membership Dues

Commuters may face an increase in Dudley House membership fees next semester, Charles P. Whitlock, Allston Burr Senior Tutor for the Non-Resident Student Center, revealed last night.

Whitlock said that Dudley House was currently faced with the problem of financing the proposed non-resident library, tentatively planned to open in September. He noted that an increase in participation fees would be only one way of meeting the fiscal difficulties, but declined to discuss other methods.

"I cannot estimate how much the fee would have to be raised," Whitlock continued. "Our plans are not at all clear now, and will not straighten out until we draw up the library budget."

The budget is now undecided, pending a conference with Dudley and Apley tutors and members of the staff of Lamont Library. Whitlock expects no definite action until "some time in April, when the House and dormitory budgets will be due."

Any plans to raise the money for the library will require the approval of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Whitlock said.

Serious discussion of library finances represents a decisive step in the establishment of private commuter reading facilities. Current plans for the library were being considered as far back as Nov. 1952, but were in a semi-embryonic stage because of monetary problems.

Within the last three months, many of the final plans had been set forth; but as late as a week ago, means of meeting library costs were in a nebulous state.