Alumnus Says He Has 'Scouts' Here; Faction Calls Shea Unrepresentative

Three 'Conservatives' Deny Group's Policy Dictated by Shea

Three organizers of the proposed Harvard Conservative League last night denied that Quinlan J. Shea '56 was the group's spokesman, and emphasized the organization had no connection with Kenneth D. Robertson, Jr. '29 and his "scouts."

The students emphasized that the new organization would support none of the policies advocated by Robertson and would not be a "McCarthy group."

Earlier yesterday Dean Watson said he seriously doubted any group devoted to spying would ever receive charter approval from the Faculty Committee on Student Activities.

The three specifically pointed out they had no affiliation with the national "Students for America" organization, and would be completely independent of all outside parties.

"Shea's Views His Alone"

The statement made by William Cancelmo '54, Robert Gore '54, and Burton Berkley '55 said: "The views attributed to Shea are his and his alone. It is a mistake to identify the actions and opinions of one individual with the principles and objectives of an organization."

The students asserted that "it is simply fantastic" to say the League will be a McCarthy group. "Only a few of those who have expressed interest in the League have any regard for Senator McCarthy or his tactics, and in view of recent findings which have disclosed his questionable integrity it would seem that their number will rapidly diminish," they added.

"We believe that the Harvard Conservative League will perform an entirely new function in the College community. As a group not committed to any political party we will be able to express Conservative opinion to the end that Conservatism may receive the respect in intellectuals circles that it deserves," they added.

They asserted that Robertson's friendship with certain members of the group would not influence the overall policies of the League.