Gen Ed Announces '54-55 Course Changes

Extensive course changes in General Education have been tentatively scheduled for next year, Philip M. Rhinelander '29, Director of General Education, announced yesterday.

Harry T. Levin '33, professor of English, and Albert B. Lord '34, associate professor of Slavic, will be the new lecturers in Humanities two, replacing John H. Finley, Jr. '25, on leave to teach at Oxford, and Ivor A. Richards.

Humanities one will be discontinued for next year, since its fall-term lecturer, Eric A. Havelock, will be on leave to do research work during the fall. Humanities five, "Ideas of Man and the World in Western Thought," will take its place, however, with Morton G. White, professor of Philosophy, and Henry D. Aiken, associate professor of Philosophy, carrying on in the course, which they taught in 1952-53.

The Department of General Education is also adding a new first-level Humanities course, Humanities six, entitled "Interpretation of Literature." Reuben A. Brower, professor of English, will lecture on the close reading of several pieces which have not yet been selected.

Samuel H. Beer, professor of Government, will return from Oxford in the fall to resume teaching Social Sciences, two, "Western Thought and Institutions."

In the Natural Science courses, Natural Sciences five will again be taught. Bracketed this year, "Principles of Biological Science" will feature the lectures of Edward H. Castle '25, professor of Physiology.

Rhinelander said that there would be a movement throughout most of the elementary courses in General Education to pare the reading lists to meet freshman reading speeds.

In upper-level General Education curricula, the most radical changes occur in the Humanities division. Humanities

113,115,122,123, and 130 a and b will all be bracketed. Rhinelander said that duties as master of Eliot House will prevent Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, from giving Humanities 130.

New Humanities courses, however, will help fill the gaps left in the schedule. James R. Hightower, associated professor of Far Eastern Languages, will give Humanities 112, "Classics of the Far East," a study of oriental great books. Ivor A. Richards will present Humanities 131 and 132, "Roots of Western Culture," and "Reading of Poetry," respectively. Humanities 133 will deal with "Existentialism in the European Mind."

No courses will be added to the advanced Social Sciences list. Social Sciences 113 will probably be dropped, however, because of the impending retirement of lecturer Kirtley F. Mather. Social Sciences 114 will also be omitted next year, but will be given again in 1955-56