WITHDRAWS FROM CONSERVATIVES

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Policies advocated recently by a number of prospective members of the proposed "Harvard Conservative League," both privately and in public statements, have forced me to reconsider my connection with the group. As one of the original six active organizers, it has been my belief that the organization would serve as an educational organ and as a focal point for the views of many members of the University which presently have no organized outlet.

Certain persons whom I am merely acquainted with or whom I do not know at all have presumed to act as spokesmen for the group or segments thereof, and have assumed an attitude with which I cannot concur. Investigations of faculty members and students by other students have no place in the University. As I pointed out in my letter of last Saturday, there are many organizations presently carrying out these activities, and they are doing a much more competent job than overzealous, untrained amateurs could ever do.

Although I still believe that there is need for organized Conservatism in the University, in light of the above, and other matters of which I have learned, I feel I must go along with the three other original members who have already withdrawn from the group. The organization seems to be turning "black reactionary" rather than Conservative.

In connection with certain trends along this lie I have also recently withdrawn my support of the Junior Senator from Wisconsin.

I do not believe that Mr. Shea concurs in what has been going on, and I feel he too should withdraw from the group until true conservatism is again expressed on the campus.

I want to thank the CRIMSON for publishing my letter Saturday explaining my views on the situation, although I cannot fully agree with the editorial comment. W. L. Sullivan, Jr. '56