Cadets Study New AFROTC Officer Quota

Three AFROTC seniors have called a meeting of their 32 classmates in Air Science 4 who probably will not become officers this June. Colonel Frank P. Bostrom, Professor of Air Science and Tactics, had announced last Monday that the Air Force may have to withhold their commissions.

The meeting, to be held at 3:30 this afternoon in Apley Court, will determine what action can be taken toward obtaining the commissions.

"This is in no way a violent protest," said one of the seniors. "It is merely to discuss the situation and see if there is any way we can get the commissions we appear to have lost."

Group letters to Congressmen and Senators are foreseen as the only probable outcome of the informal get-together. The commission cut-back is the result of a Pentagon decision.

"Beyond My Control"

Bostrom, who was consulted before the meeting was called, could not see any promise of hope in the action, but added, "Any students in the University have the right to hold a meeting and discuss.

"The 35 seniors are very disappointed," he said, "but it is beyond my control."

All students who complete the four-year Air Force, Army, or Navy ROTC programs have formerly received their commissions automatically upon graduation. But Defense Department orders for a manpower reduction among officers, and the fact that the Air Corps is flooded with non-flying administrators, has forced Bostrom's announcement.

The 35 AFROTC seniors who may not be commissioned are those who cannot pass the physical for flight training. Instead, they will receive a certificate of completion which will allow them to enlist in the Air Force for a shortened two-year period anytime within two years after graduation.

About 33 other AFROTC seniors, the rest of the class, will receive their commissions. Of these, 23 will serve as pilots, five as observers, and approximately five more as engineers.