Hawkins Sets Fifth Record At Princeton

PRINCETON, N.J., March 20--Crimson sophomore Dave Hawkins set his fifth record of the season in the Eastern Intercollegiate Invitational Swimming Championships here tonight. Hawkins butter flied the 100-yard breast stroke in 59.7 seconds for the only now mark in the meet and the fastest time for the event in the country this year.

The old mark was 1:00.1, set by Bob Brawner of Princeton in 1950. Hawkins, who tied his own Crimson record when he won the 200-yard breast stroke here in 2:15.9 on Friday, did the 100 in 59.6 at the AAU meet last year.

Second In Finals

The Australian's two first places were all the Crimson could capture, since the 300-yard medley relay team lost to Yale. The Crimson was second, however, in the number of men placed in the finals.

In the 300-yard medley relay, the varsity's Don Mulvey, Hawkins, and Jim Jorgensen were 2.6 seconds slow of Yale's winning 2:52. Mulvey fell two yards behind the Ell's Sandy Gidoonse when he bumped his head on a bad turn in his final lap, but Hawkins made it up against Dennis O'Conner and converted it into a two-foot lead. Jorgensen, swimming with a heavy cold, fever, and lots of guts, then kept up with Kerry Donovan for the first 50 yards, but he couldn't hold on. Donovan must have covered the last lap in 50 seconds to beat Jorgensen's 52.6 by eight feet.

Third In Back Stroke

Mulvey copped third in the 100-yard back stroke with a time of 1:01.2, two-tenths of a second off second place. Army's Pete Wittereid won the event in one minute flat.

Pete Smalls took a sixth in the three-meter dive. Otherwise the Crimson just missed qualifying in four more events. Marv Sandler was three-tenths of a second off sixth place in the 150-individual medley. Jorgensen's 53.8 made him seventh in the 100-yard free style, with teammates Ted Whatley and Gus Johnson ninth and tenth. Ralph Zani just missed qualifying in the breast stroke and Marshall Walter was eighth in the dive.