More Freshman Proctors To Serve as '58 Advisers

Two--thirds of the Yard proctors will also serve as freshman advisers next year, Dean Watson said yesterday. The change will approximately double the number of proctors who are now on the Board of Advisors.

Watson also said that freshman advisers will be asked to return to the College at the beginning of Orientations Week next fall. This will enable them to most informally with their advisers before the first study card meeting. Another revision in the system will affect an increase in the overall number of the Board.

The three changes are intended to make the relationship between a freshman and his adviser more personal and less formal than it is now. Freshman Dean von Stade and President Pusey recently met with the freshman Unions Committee to discuss this problem.

Appointments Will Rise

Of the 30 proctors now in the Yard, 11 have Corporation appointments as members of the Freshman Adviser Board, and Watson expects the figure to reach 20 next year. Under the revised system only about half of a proctor's advisers will be residents of his entry, however.

Von Stade, who is now accepting proctoring applications for next year, emphasized that he does not want men to apply as advisers unless they are really interested in the work. He also said he prefers applications from men who are more than one year away from their graduate school degree.

Recommended to Bundy

The adviser system changes that Watson announced yesterday had been recommended to Dean Bundy several weeks ago. Members of the Union Committees discussed them at their meeting with Pusey, and, according to committee chairman James R. Sikes '57, generally favored giving adviser status to more proctors.

Sikes said he felt the changes would be advantageous because proctors, since they live in the entries, cat in the Union, and are usually recent College graduates themselves, have a better understanding of freshman problems than do most faculty advisers.

The Union Committee had expressed the opinion that many of the present Faculty advisors take little interest in the freshmen, and see their advisees only to sign their study cards.