'54 Chooses Tulenko, Culver, Hardy As Class Marshals in Heavy Voting

Winthrop Men Take 6 Out of 12 Places

John F. Tulenko, John C. Culver, and Robert B. Hardy, all of Winthrop House, last night were elected first, second, and third Marshals of the Class of 1954.

Tulenko is from Holyoke, Mass: Culver from Cedar Rapids, Iowa; and Hardy from Birmingham, Mich.

Seven hundred and forty-four seniors out of approximately 1,000 in the class voted yesterday in what Student Council President Clifford L. Alexander '55 called "an amazing turnout." Six hundred and fifty members of the Class of '53 voted last year.

The following nine seniors, in alphabetical order, were elected as members of the Permanent Class Committee:

Edward C. Bursk, Jr. of Cohasset, Mass. and Leverett; Eliot D. Hawkins of New York City and Eliot; Hay K. Maesaka of Oahu, Hawaii and Lowell; Anthony S. Patton of Arlington, Mass., and Winthrop; and F. Harvey Popell of Brookline and Winthrop.

Also elected to the Committee were: Brian F. Reynolds of Lowell, Mass. and Adams; Samuel E. Shaw H of Enfield, Conn. and Lowell; John W. Stakes of St. Davids, Pa. and Leverett; and Peter Strauss of Great Neck, N.Y. and Winthrop.

Tabulation of the Houses and home towns of the new Class Committee members reveals that six of the 12 are from Winthrop House, two each from Lowell and Leverett, and one each from Eliot and Adams. Five of the 12 are from Massachusetts.

Five of the Committee members, including all three of the Marshals played varsity football at some time during their College careers.

The Marshals and Class Committee are the official governing body of the class after graduation. It is their function to plan all class reunions.