Hawkins Sets College Mark In NCAA Breaststroke Win

SYRACUSE, N.Y., March 26--Sophomore Dave Hawkins climaxed his first varsity season here tonight with a NCAA championship 200-yard breaststroke victory over, Michigan's Bumpy Jones. Hawkins' time was 2:15.4, a Crimson record.

Ironically enough, Jones' second-place time will be listed in the record books as 2:15.2, two-tenths of a second better than Hawkins' winning mark. The two first-place timers caught Jones ahead of Hawkins, but the first and second-place judges both agreed Hawkins had won.

Only other scorer for the varsity was another sophomore, Jim Jorgenson, who placed fifth in the 22-yard free style. Jorgenson has been suffering from a heavy cold all week and his time of 2:12.5 was therefore unexpectedly high.

The free style race was highlighted by Jack Wardrop's upset victory over Ohio State's Ford Kenno. The Michigan star won in 2:05 flat to break the NCAA championship record.

Hawkins' win and Jorgenson's fifth gave the Crimson nine points and a sixth place finish in the first day's standings. Yale scored 19 points to take a temporary third, but the varsity still has a slim chance of overtaking the Ellis in tomorrow's events. The varsity's chances hinge on the performances of Don Mulvey in the 100-yard backstroke and Jorgenson, Hawkins, and Mulvey in the 300-yard medley relay.