Poll Indicates Lowell, Winthrop Conform to Their Reputations

Residents of Lowell and Winthrop solidly confirmed the undergraduate reputations of their Houses, in a poll taken by members of Social Relations 117.

Non-residents listed Lowell as predominantly "intellectual," "literary," "conservative," "intelligent," in the adjective categories of the poll. Members of the House supported these opinions, although they voted less emphatically in the "aesthetic" and "literary" categories.

Winthrop scored strongly as "athletic," "friendly," "straightforward" in the opinions of both residents and non-residents. House members differed only by dis-regarding the "middle class" category, which outsiders considered significant.

Roger W. Brown, assistant professor of Social Psychology, who directed the poll, emphasized that since only 100 students participated, the poll provides little information as to the real "character" of the Houses.

Perhaps because of the small sampling, votes for the other Houses were not so neatly categorized. Non-residents labeled Eliot as "wealthy," "aristocratic," "snobbish," "white shoe," and "conservative," but Eliot members agreed only in the "aristocratic" and "snobbish" categories.

Adams drew no clear judgment; it was voted as moderately "musical," "aesthetic," "ambitious," "conventional," and "friendly," by non-members. Residents primarily characterized the House as "sociable," and sparingly as "musical," but did not consistently apply any of the other terms.

"Happy-go-lucky," "sociable," and "friendly," all characterized non-resident votes for Dunster. Funsters, however, emphasized "athletic." There was also little uniformity in Kirkland voting, but the adjective categories "friendly," "conventional," and "middle class" seemed to indicate a general conception of the Kirkland type.

Leverett House members only voted for "friendly," and "happy-go-lucky."