Father Feeney Attacks College, Buildings, Jews, Time Magazine

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

In a vitriolic attack against Harvard and its Jewish students, Father Feeney has charged the College with being corrupted by an "enemy far more dangerous than McCarthy--the Jews in attendance there."

Writing for his monthly publication, The Point, Feeney claimed that President Pusey, "who hails from such an unsemitic place as Iowa, was imported to see if he could pry the Jews loose gently."

Feeney did not restrict his entire two-page article to anti-semitic blasts, however. He attacked the College "as a place filled with sissies and psychotics, a breeding ground of depravity, disloyalty, and despair."

Time magazine, which published an article on the University recently, was also censured. Feeney asserted that the magazine's appraisal of Harvard accomplishments was prompted by "those purely Masonic considerations which Time and Harvard share."

Since Feeney' excommunication from the Church last year, his title "father" actually is a misnomer. His full name is Leonard J. Feeney, and he is known as "father" only to his small group. He was excommunicated last year for preaching the heretical doctrine: "There is no salvation outside the Catholic Church." Feeney was previously deprived of his rights as a priest when he was defrocked in 1949.

Another reason for the article, Feeney speculated, was that Roy Larsen, "Time's number-two man, was one of the half-dozen finalists in the race for Harvard President; and he chose this way to assure Pusey he didn't hold any grudge for being nosed out."

The College's physical features were also criticized by Feeney. "Most Harvard buildings, you will notice, are covered with ivy--mercifully so, for they are monuments to ugliness.

"If you want an unforgettable picture of what the courses taught at Harvard can do to one's expression," Feeney suggested, "simply take a walk through Harvard Square and observe the faces of students there. Even the beards on the faces are far less effective cover-ups than the ivy on the buildings," he said.