Jackson Named Godkin Speaker

Associate Justice Robert H. Jackson (above) of the United States Supreme Court will give the Edwin L. Godkin Lectures on Government at the University next year.

Jackson's subject will be "The Position of the Supreme Court in the American System of Government."

Dean Edward S. Mason of the Graduate School of Public Administration said that no date has yet been set for next year's series of three lectures. In the past the Godkins have usually been given in late January, but Adlai E. Stevenson, this year's lecturer, delivered his talks during the week of March 17.

Nuremberg Counsel

Jackson, who has been a member of the Supreme Court since 1941, served after the second world war as United States chief counsel in the Nuremberg war crime trials. Before his appointment to the bench he had served as general counsel of the Internal Revenue Bureau, Solicitor General, and Attorney General of the United States.

The Godkin Lectures are given annually in memory of the late Edwin L. Godkin, who founded the Nation magazine and edited the New York Evening Post in the nineteenth century.