Paul Tillich to Become Divinity Professor Here

Renowned Philosopher from Union Seminary Will Teach as New University Professor

By William W. Bartley iii

Paul Johannes Tillich, world famous Protestant theologian, will probably be named a University Professor at the Corporation meeting today.

CRIMSON sources disclosed that the 67-year-old professor of Philosophical Theology at Union Seminary of Columbia University in New York, will be named to the Divinity School Faculty, but will give at least one course specifically for undergraduates--possibly a new General Education course--in the relation of philosophy to religion.

Although a University Professor, Tillich will not fill the planned combined post of Minister of Memorial Church and University Professor of Christianity. His presence on the faculty will, however, give the Corporation more time to find a man for the other position.

The Prussian - born philosopher -- called Protestantism's number one philosopher two years ago by "Time" magazine--has been at Union since 1933, when his professorship at the University of Frankfurt was taken from him by the Nazis.

In his theological system, Tillich has attempted to bring together liberal and orthodox Christianity. He advocates that the Christian, without losing his image of Christ as the Savior, must adjust the externals of his faith, his philosophy, and his culture to the circumstances of his time.

Upon what he calls the "Protestant principle"--a prophetic power like the voice of the prophet outside the temple calling people back to God and away from the formalism and sophistries of the priest--he has built what has been called "one of the most impressive Protestant theological systems since the time of the reformers." In his system he is often compared with St. Thomas Aquinas.

D. Phil. from Breslau

Tillich studied at the Universities of Berlin, Tubingen, and Halle. He received the D. Phil. degree from the University of Breslau in 1910, and has received honorary doctorates at many universities, including Yale and Princeton, since then. He is a member of the Evangelical and Reformed Church.