Team Gains Split In Five Matches On Tennis Junket

The varsity tennis team returned to town over the weekend after doing the impossible on a Southern tour--splitting five matches. Between solid victories over the Country Club of Virginia and the University of Virginia, the Crimson lost twice to North Carolina and tied Navy, 4 to 4.

After defeating the Country Club in Richmond, 7 to 2, Coach Jack Barnaby's squad dropped 12-3 and 11-4 decisions to the Tarheels. The win over the Club was encouraging, for the Virginia group edged Dartmouth, 5 to 4, earlier this season. The losses to North Carolina were not unexpected, for Barnaby likens that school in tennis to Notre Dame in football.

Tie Annapolis

The Crimson then moved on to Annapolis for its Eastern Intercollegiate League opener. The game score stood at 5-5 in the first set of the ninth match of the afternoon when darkness forced postponement. One of the Naval Academy courts had lights, but apparently they were broken. After the deadlock with the Middies, the varsity whipped the Cavaliers, 12 to 5. "They were strong at the top," said Barnaby, "but we 'outdepthed' them."

In general, the Crimson coach was pleased with his squad's spirit and progress. He wished that his number three single man and top doubles player, Alex Haegler, had been able to make the trip, for Barnaby felt that the junior might possibly have made the difference against the Middies.

Without Haegler, the single ladder shows Ham Gravem, Captain John Rauh, Gene Mann, Brooks Harris, Don Bossart, Donn Spencer, Terry King, Herb Stone, Conrad Fischer, Frank Goodman, Maynard Canfield, and Doug Manchester, in that order. The tentative doubles lineup includes Haegler and Rauh, Harris and Gravem, plus Bossart and Spencer or King and Stone. Bossart teamed with Rauh at first doubles in some matches on the trip.