Finley May Block All College Event At Eliot April 23

Eliot House's Social Committee will try today to overcome objections by Master John H. Finley '25 to holding a House dance on Friday of the All College Weekend.

Eliot is now the only House not planning some social function for April 23, the evening before the Crimson Key's big open dance in the Indoor Athletic Building.

Johnson C. Montgomery '55, Eliot's Social Committee chairman, said Monday that Finley had influenced him to oppose the prevailing House sentiment, which is in favor of a dance. "The Social Committee and the House as a whole would like to have some social function that Friday," he said, "but the House Administration has indicated that it desires 'we refrain from any organized activity'."

Liquor Caused Objection

Finley yesterday declined to state his objections to the dance, but maintained that "there is not much sentiment in favor of it."

It is understood, however, that Finley's objections lie in the fact that liquor would presumably be permitted at the dance.

Last night the House Committee voted money to the Social Committee for planning some activity.

Montgomery will meet with Finley this afternoon to seek his clearance for the event, and the Social Committee will then gather this evening for a final decision.