Sophomore to Return Books for Bellboys

A Lowell House sophomore has devised a method to save fellow Bellboys from the crushing Lamont Library fine system. By placing their books in a wooden box the night before, Lowell men can wake up at 11 a.m. and find themselves only 10 to 25 cents poorer. Without the service, late risers might incur losses as high as two dollars per book.

Daniel J.M. FitzPatrick, Jr., the services' founder and as of now sole operator, hopes to expand book deliveries to other Houses next year. This is dependent, however, he said, on the success of the system this spring.

Up to now, business has been slow, but this is due, he added hopefully, to the "traditional lack of study in late April." During the reading and examination periods the service is expected to increase noticeably its number of customers and books.

To use the service, students place their books in a wooden box located in the Lowell superintendent's office. After 12:45, when the office closes, the box is placed in front of FitzPatrick's room on the third floor of the House's O-entry. The box stays there until shortly before nine o'clock, when the service (FitzPatrick) returns them to Lamont.

The benefits of the service are not just limited to the students. FitzPatrick, himself, is rewarded for his efforts to the sum of ten cents a book. For every third book the student receives a discount of five cents.

To expand to other Houses the service must first win the approval of the various Housemasters. Up to now, the Student Employment Office and Elliot Perkins, Master of Lowell House, have both heartily endorsed it.

Phillip J. McNiff, librarian in charge of the Lamont Library, which annually collects close to $4000 in fines, has not disapproved of the plan. His only request was that books be placed through a slot in a locked wooden box to avoid stealing.