Record Numbers Apply For Law Class Entrance

Veterans Comprise Third of New Class

By Robert L. Saxe

Applications for the entering class at the Law School have already reached an all time high, 1,660, with more still coming, Assistant Dean Louis A. Toepfer, director of admissions, announced yesterday.

In addition, Toepfer reported, veterans will pries almost one third of the class. The Law School intends to admit about 200 veterans, as compared to 110 admitted last year. Of this year's probable total of 200, 168 have already been admitted, Toepfer said.

The size of the class that will start in September, however, will be cut from 525 to 500 in order to stop what Toepfer calls "the creeping growth of the Law School." The faculty of the Law School has decided that 500 is about the greatest number of students it can admit and still retain optimum efficiency.

Will Accept 650

Toepfer also reported that most of the men who are going to be admitted have been accepted already. "In another week our class will be formed," he said. The Law School may admit up to 650 applicants, including the 200 veterans, but a certain fraction of these usually withdraws before September.

The surprisingly large number of veterans in next year's class is not to be taken as a sign that the Law School has favored them over civilian applicants, Toepfer maintained. A great many will be admitted because a great many applied. Toepfer said that no man seeking admission was treated on a different basis than any other man--provided his application had reached Toepfer's office by May 1, the official deadline.

One fifth of the entering class will come from the College, Toepfer predicted.