Laboratory for Biophysics Research To Be Dedicated at Medical School

Dedication of a new biophysics research laboratory at the Harvard Medical School today will mark a new phase in the investigation of the role of metallic elements in human cells.

Opening ceremonies will take place at 2 p.m. in the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital amphitheater.

The new laboratory will attempt to discover the function of trace elements copper, zinc, titanium and tin in cell metabolism. Past workers in biochemistry have discovered that in the white blood corpuscles of leukemia patients an abnormally low amount of zinc is present, while in liver disease, heart ailments, Hodgkins disease, and certain types of psychosis the copper concentration of the blood serum increases.

Greatest Utilization

Dr. Bert L. Vallee, director of the new laboratory, cited the need for more new research centers to diminish the length of time between the discovery of new scientific facts and the recognition of their medical significance.

Facilities of the laboratory designed by Vallee and his staff, make the greatest utilization of structural features of the building. Central building supports, for example, have been encased in brich plywood and contain the laboratory service outlets. Electrical outlets swing from the lowered and sound-proofed ceilings on double ball sockets.

The entire laboratory comprises about 8000 square feet of floor space.