Lasch Presented $500 Stipend in Bowdoin Contest

Robert C. Lasch '54 has been awarded the top undergraduate prize of $500 in the 1954 Bowdoin Essay Contest, for his dissertation on "The Strenuous Life: Roosevelt, Beveridge and Lodge." He is one of the six Bowdoin prize winners for the current academic year, including three undergraduates and three graduate students.

John H. Updike '54, winner of this year's Dana Reed Prize for published writing, will receive the second prize of $300 for his essay on "Herrick's Echoes of Horace." Third in the undergraduate division was Robert L. Larsen '54, who will be awarded $100. Honorable Mention was given to John G. Benedict '54.

Three Graduate Winners

The graduate prizes are divided into the three fields of the Humanities, Social Sciences and Natural Sciences. Kenneth S. Lynn II 6G submitted the top essay in the Humanities field entitled "Jack London: The Brain Merchant." In the Social Sciences, first prize went to Harvey Glickman for a study of the British Internal Security Program; Honorable Mention in this division was awarded to William R. Taylor 6G. First Prize in the Natural Sciences went to James B. Hendrickson 4G, with Honorable Mention to Richard M. Ritland 3G. The three first-prize winners in the Graduate Division will each receive $300 for their essays.