Advanced Standing Plan Will Affect '56 Seniors

Outstanding Students Can Waive Courses For Special Study

Outstanding members of the Class of '56 will be granted freedom to do independent research or graduate study in place of regular course work during their senior year in the College, Dean Bundy announced yesterday.

The plan is the first application of the Advanced Standing program passed by the Faculty last March.

At the same time, Bundy announced appointment of a Faculty committee to administer all aspects of Advanced Standing.

Under the direction of Harlan P. Hanson '48, Assistant Senior Tutor of Kirkland House, next year's juniors will be able to apply for advanced standing in their senior year. If their previous College work has been of high enough quality, the Faculty committee will waive one or two of the undergraduate credits required for graduate.

In place of the courses waived, a qualified senior will be allowed to carry on special studies under a Faculty tutor or to take courses in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Any G.S.A.S. courses taken under the program will be applicable toward an eventual graduate degree.

Secondary School Credit

Hanson last night said he did not know whether seniors qualifying for the program will still be able to take regular tutorial for one course credit. If permitted, this would allow some students to carry only one classroom course in their senior year.

In addition to the liberalized senior study program, starting with freshmen entering the College in 1955, the Advanced Standing Committee will make allowance for work of college level done in secondary school. Men achieving advanced standing at admission to college then will be especially eligible for a reduced program in their senior year.

Serving with Hanson on the committee are Professors Francis Birch '24 Arthur Smithies, Reuben A. Brower, and David Owen; Assistant Professor William H. Drury, Jr. '43; and Deans Wilbur J. Bender '27 and F. Skiddy von Stade '38. Chairman of the group is Dean Bundy.