Air ROTC Seniors Refuse to Accept Commission Offer

Close to two-thirds of the 38 Air Force ROTC seniors have refused to accept the new commissions plan offered last week by the Air Force.

By the noon Wednesday deadline set by Colonel Frank P. Bostrom, professor of Air Science at the College, only 14 seniors had agreed to accept the National-Guard-Air Force Reserve commissions.

The 14, in signing the agreement, agreed to serve for "not loss than three years unless sooner relieved," and to remain in the Air National Guard after returning from active service for a period of roughly three years.

Seniors who refused to sign cited the fact that no GI benefits (including the GI bill and insurance) would be given the increased service time, uncertainly of when they would be called, and the lack of time to consider the still some-what hazy plan as the main reasons for turning down the plan.

Half Net Enlisting

"We were told about the plan Monday and asked a lot of questions them which were not answered, including whether all this service would legally make us draft exempt," said one. "Despite our lack of complete information and the suddenness of the new plan, we were told that we had to sign on the dotted, line by Wednesday noon. Some of us just weren't willing to take the chance."

Of the 24 senior ROTC members who refused to sign, around 12 have indicated intentions to enlist for a two year period as privates in the Air Force.