Mather, Gibson, Stearns to Retire; Three Men Named to Geology Posts

Three members of the Department of Geology, including Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology since 1923 and Curator of the Geological Museum, will retire at the end of this college year. Three newly-announced appointees will replace them.

The University will lose the services of Russell Gibson, associate professor of Economic Geology, now on a year's leave of absence in connection with the Point Four plan, and Charles E. Stearns, assistant professor of Geology, who will become a member of the boards of deans at Tufts College.

New members of the permanent faculty will be Robert M. Garrels, associate professor of Geology, and James B. Thompson, Jr., associate professor of Mineralogy. John B. Miller will be an assistant professor of Geology.

Marland P. Billings '22, professor of Geology, will serve as curator of the Geological Museum.

Replacing Mather in Geology 1 will be L. Don Leet, professor of Geology, and Bernhard Kumel, associate professor of Geology.

Head of the "Solid State Group" of the United states Geological Survey in Washington, D.C., Garrels has done field work in Newfoundland, the Mississippi Valley, the Boulder river area of Montana, and the Colorado Plateaus.