Faculty Passes Three-Year R.O.T.C.; Longer Period of Summer Training

Dean Bundy to Offer Proposal to Pentagon; Plan May Be Used on Nation-Wide Basis

The Faculty yesterday approved unanimously the program to cut ROTC class work to three years and lengthen the summer training to 12 weeks.

Dean Bundy will now present the proposals to the Army for Pentagon approval. If passed in Washington, the plan will be tried at the College with a view to possible nation-wide adoption.

The new plan would also add three course to the ROTC program at full credit. These courses, including subjects like "Modern Military History" and "Military Psychology," will be taught by both civilian and military experts.

The Committee on Educational Policy also recommends that the entire 12 week period of training be included in one summer session. Earlier there had been discussion of splitting the manual instruction into two six-week training periods.

Lt. Colonel Trevor N. Dupuy, professor of Military Science and Tactics, suggested last fall to Bundy that the faculty investigate a new plan for Army ROTC. A subcommittee was formed to study Dupuy's proposals with Donald C. McKay '28, professor of History, as chairman.

Training Starts in Sophomore Year

Under the program worked out by this committee, a student would begin ROTC training with his sophomore year. He would take the summer drill between his sophomore and junior years.

In the additional six weeks of camp, the cadet would learn map reading, the manual of arms, and practice foot drill, command, and manual subjects.

The Committee also recommends that the ROTC unit at Harvard retain its affiliation with the Artillery. The course taught in the College would be general, however, and cadets would not specialize. All ROTC courses will now be open to non-cadet students for credit.

Serving on the committee with Dupuy and McKay, were George C. Homans '32, professor of Sociology; George B. Kistiakowsky, professor of Chemistry; Carrol F. Miles, Allston Burr Senior Tutor at Dunster House; and Arthur E. Sutherland, professor of Law.