Stampp, of University of California, Will Teach History 61b Next Spring

Kenneth Stampp, professor of History at the University of California at Berkeley will deliver the lectures in History 61b next spring, it was announced yesterday.

Stampp will replace Arthur M. Schlesinger, Francis Lee Higginson Professor of History, who is retiring t the end of the present academic year.

An expert on the American Civil War and the South, Stampp is the author of two books, "Indiana Politics During the Civil War," published in 1949, and "And the War Came," published in 1950.

He is officially scheduled to teach History 61b for only one year, since the department has not yet decided who will give the course in 1956. He will also give a graduate seminar, History 271, which will cover the Civil War and sectional conflict in American History.

Before joining the faculty of the University of California, Stampp served as an instructor at the Universities of Arkansas and Maryland. He came to Berkeley in 1946 and was appointed a full professor at the University in 1951.

He received A.M., B.S., and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Wisconsin in 1935, '37, and '42 respectively.

History 61b is the second half of the basic American history survey course, covering the period since 1865. Frederick Merk, Gurney Professor of History and Political Science, and Wilbur J. Bender, lecturer on History, will continue to give History 61a, the first half of the course.

While the general material covered by the spring term course will remain the same, Stampp will have the opportunity to change the lecture topics, and reading assignments, if he so desires.