Conant Calls For European Unity Along with German Reunification

The German High Commissioner Criticized French Reluctance to Pass EDC Program

By John J. Murphy

President emeritus CONANT granted Crimson reporter JOHN R. MURPHY '55 an interview during the latter's trip to Europe this summer.

No incompatibility exists between the need for European integration and the necessity of German reunification, according to James Bryant Conant '14, president emeritus of Harvard and for the past 18 months United States High Commissioner in Germany.

In an interview with the CRIMSON in the "HICOG" office at Bonn, Conant, agreeing with Chancellor Konrad Adenauer, said "the way towards German reunification in peace and freedom is by first demonstrating to the Kremlin that the western European nations are united politically, militarily and economically and are therefore strong in their support of the free world."

His agreement with Adenauer's aims led to a sharp criticism of French procrastination on the European Defense Community.

Speaking on August 23, the day after the crucial Brussels conference, Conant said, "It is a tragedy that the ratification of the treaty by France has been so long delayed. It would be a far greater tragedy if the treaty were defeated in the French Assembly in the coming weeks." The Assembly defeated EDC on August 31.

Conant said that such a defeat of EDC would be a tremendous blow to the drive for defense and integration of Western Europe. He also emphasized that the EDC plan should not be thought of as a separate entity but as "a part of a whole movement for European unity, of which the Schuman Plan for Coal and Steel was the first step."

He expressed complete sympathy with the present stand of the German Federal Republic on the problem of European integration and his position implied a belief in the merits of bi-lateral action by Germany and the United States.

Sees Close Bond

Conant spoke confidently of German-American ties. "The relations between the United States troops and the German inhabitants are remarkably satisfactory considering all the difficulties which are bound to occur when foreign troops are present in large numbers. . . Although the united States is legally still an occupying power, actually the United States troops are present as defense forces." Conant said this situation is fully understood by the Germans.

The High Commissioner is in frequent contact with U.S. Army heaquarters several hundred miles down the Rhine at Heidelberg, since his position is still partly that of a military governor. But the functions of his office have been significantly diminished in other respects.

In fact, the Allied High Commission, composed of French, British and American Commissioners, has, according to Conant, "been in the process of dissolving for two years, that is, since the E.D.C. Treaty and the Bonn Conventions were signed. Most of the functions of the occupying powers have long since been transferred to the government of the German Federal Republic."

Within the past year the three High Commissioners have assumed the official title of "ambassador," indicating the transitional status of the office. The plans were made on the assumption that the office would become an embassy within the year. "When that occurs," said Conant, "which I believe will be very shortly, the role of chief of Mission here will be that of ambassador, as in any other country."

This adoption of the title of ambassador before the actual duties change seems to have been an important psychological factor in creating amity between the American and German governments. German newspapers immediately began to refer to "Ambassador Conant" and communiques from the Bonn government are now addressed similarly. This change is typical of many actions which have evidently caused the Germans to think of the United States as an allied rather than an occupying power.

A Special Situation

Ambassador Conant indicated that, in this connection, Berlin represented a special situation. "Even after the Federal Republic becomes a sovereign nation and is making its military contribution to the defense of Europe, Berlin will remain a responsibility of the three western allies. The American ambassador in Bonn would have the same special responsibilities in Berlin as hitherto, and this would continue until Germany is reunified and Berlin once again becomes the capitol of a free and united Germany."

Conant briefly analyzed his post as might any man trying out a new job. As Harvard's president for two decades he was successful particularly as an administrator in putting the finishing touches to the house system, in placing a new emphasis on the autonomy of the various graduate schools; as an educator, his greatest single achievement was the General Education program.

With this preparation he noted that "there is a remarkable similarity between what have been my tasks here at Bonn and my work as president of Harvard. In both cases, I am an administrative officer responsible for a considerable budget and a large personnel, and any administrative officer, whether in academic work or in a diplomatic mission, is dealing with human problems. Furthermore, in both cases I was operating in full view of the public, and what went on in the institutions was always subject to reporting and comment in the press."

Conant pointed out that he has had to adapt himself, however, to two distinct changes. The greater of these is that in Bonn the important events come much more rapidly and the questions have to be answered much more quickly. "The pace perhaps is about five times as fast."

The other difference he experiences in the new position is one which is inevitable in the departure from an academic pose. "I miss my contact with students. There is no equivalent for that part of my Harvard work and this one aspect of my assignment at Bonn I greatly miss."

Perhaps as great an influence as any in preparing him for this huge administrative task was his war-time work of organizing personnel within the Atomic Energy Commission and particularly his job with the Manhattan Project. The process of bringing into co-operation professional people of competing interests under the pressure of a mobilization schedule and directing their efforts within such a field in a complex task which in significant aspects is closely akin to the situation into which he was plunged at Bonn.

Conant's academic achievements, particularly his scientific eminence, have been a big factor in his success in Germany, a country which has a great deal of respect for both the academician and the scientist. But the activities of the past eighteen months have required him to forego these pursuits. In fact, he said, "as long as I remain the President's chief representative in Germany, my interest in education will have to remain dormant." Asked how long that would be, he replied as long as he was wanted.

Contrast With Harvard

The visitor to the campus-like surroundings of the "HICOG" office is strongly aware of the contrast with the wainscoting and small-pane windows of Massachusetts Hall. At a beautifully-landscaped estate on the bank of the Rhine, the offices occupy several large buildings of the same design as Harvard's Commons. The only thing missing is the World Tree.

Enclosed in one shell of cold plate glass and modernistic concrete blocks, the offices of Conant, his assistant and secretaries luxuriate in thick carpets and panelled walls. The physical plant seems intended to accommodate important events at a pace "perhaps five times as great." It is worlds apart from the comfortable tradition that pervades his former Cambridge office. In fact the only fixture that would look quite at home in either place is Conant himself, for he is among other things a Harvardman, and the great versatility that goes with that label will likely stand him in good stead no matter where his political fortunes lead him.WIDE WORLD PHOTOCONANT and West German Chancellor KONRAD ADENAUER (left) drink a toast in wine to the signing of an agreement which restores the postwar treaty of friendship, commerce and consulate rights between Germany and American on June 3, 1953. The treaty, first signed in 1923, was suspended at the outbreak of the war.