Fulbright Grants Remain Near 700 With Budget Cuts

Last year's predicted cuts in Fulbright scholarships will not be made, William S. Barnes, Chairman of the University Fulbright Committee, announced last night.

A high figure of about 700 will be maintained despite the fact that Administration budget slashing last spring reduced the number of foreign students traveling to the United States in the reciprocal side of the program.

This year the addition of West Germany to the program brings the total of Fulbright nations to 30. In last year's cuts, the most severe curtailments were made in the number of students coming to the United States from Latin America and Asia.

Barnes spoke before a meeting of 100 graduate students who gathered in Burr Hall to receive instructions about applying for the one-year grants.

A similar meeting for undergraduates, in which they will receive information about the various scholarships available for graduate work, will be sponsored by the Student Council in the near future. No date for the undergraduate meeting has yet been announced.

Barnes said information and application blanks for the scholarships will be with the Fulbright chairman of each graduate school. Undergraduates should apply to Joseph C. Palamountain, Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Adams House and assistant professor of Government. The applications must be filled out and returned by October 31.