Alumni Select 10 Nominees For Overseer

A United States Senator, the President of a coeducational college, and the chairman of the board of a book publishing firm are among the ten candidates for Overseers of the University, the Alumni Association announced recently. The names of the five successful candidates will be announced at Commencement.

John F. Kennedy '40, junior Senator from Massachusetts, has had a rapid rise since his graduation. He received a Purple Heart and a Navy and Marine Corps medal for his action during four years in the Navy. In 1946 he was chosen as one of the ten outstanding young men of the year. Before becoming Senator he served as Congressman from Massachusetts' 11th District.

Courtney C. Smith '38, President of Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, Pa., was a Rhodes Scholar and a teaching fellow in English at Harvard. He has been American secretary of the Rhodes Scholarships since 1953.

The Chairman of the board of Harper & Bros., Cass Canfield '19 of New York, is also a member of the board of directors of Grosset & Dunlap, Bantam Books, and Freedom House.

Other Overseer candidates are: Myles P. Baker '22, Boston Physician; Arthur A. Houghton, Jr. '29, President, Steuben Glass, Inc., New York; Bayard L. Kilgour, Jr. '29, President, Cincinnati & Suburban Telephone Co.; Clarence C. Little '10, Director, Rosco B. Jackson Memorial Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine; Malcolm E. Peabody '11, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Central New York, Syracuse; Nicholas Roosevelt '14, author, Big Sur, Calif.; and H. Bradford Washburn, Jr. '33, of Boston Science Museum.