Yard Police Capture Dorm Thief; Ex-Convict Confesses Burglaries

A 30 year old ex-convict, who claims not only to have burglarized University dormitories but also to have slept in the rooms of their absent occupants, was arrested yesterday morning while leaving Mellon Hall in the Business School.

The burglar, Joseph W. Duane, also claimed that he used swimming pools and showers at the University, and once in a while would get in line for a meal at a College dining room.

Duane specialized in thefts of jewelry and money. After he had burglarized a room, he would take a plane or train to New York and dispense of whatever jewelry he had taken, in one of three pawn shops that he patronized.

According to Matthew J. Toohy, head of University police, reports from Mellon shortly after Duane's capture claimed that over $100 had been stolen from the dormitory; and it was believed Duane had taken the money.

Patrick F. Sullivan of the police arrested Duane when he recognized him as a suspect wanted by the Cambridge force. After taking him to Yard headquarters at 22 Dunster St., Sullivan turned Duane over to detectives James F. Murphy and William F. Trodden of the Cambridge police department.

In his college-boy role Duane has stolen jewelry from University rooms valued at over $2000, according to Murphy. This includes burglaries committed over five years ago, when Duane was arrested and sent to prison. "Ever since he was freed a year ago, Duane has been under suspicion," Murphy added.

Duane is the second local dormitory thief arrested this week. The other, Joseph McHugh, was captured Sunday evening while burglarizing an M.I.T. dormitory. McHugh operated at both Harvard and M.I.T.