Cambridge Officials Oppose Russians' Entrance to City

Local officials yesterday expressed disapproval of Tuesday's State Department action which leaves Cambridge open to travel by Russian citizens, but closes off Boston along with most of Massachusetts and 27 percent of the nation.

"If there is need to exclude Russians from any defense area, it seems strange that they should be allowed to enter a number one target city like Cambridge," City Manager John J. Curry said.

Councilman Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29 said last night, "This is too serious a problem to start playing games. Ask Dulles what is traveling through his head." Curry joined with Mayor John J. Foley in saying that the State Department had not as yet officially informed Cambridge of the ruling.

Councilman Edward A. Crane maintained that "I know Cambridge," but admitted that he was puzzled by the State Department's action. "I'd have to know diplomatic rules to understand it, and I don't know the rules," he said. "Freedom to Travel is the Fifth Freedom. It is one of the factors contributing to the Great Conflict," he continued.

"It's like a little boy standing on a corner and saying 'Nyaah,'" said Councilman Marcus Morton. "All Red spies should be banned from Cambridge and everywhere else."

Washington sources Tuesday called security the formal reason for the step, but they made it plain that the real reason was retaliation for similar travel restrictions placed on American citizens in Russia.

Cambridge authorities are, apparently, not the only ones confused by the ruling. Several hundred requests for clarification have already reached the State Department.