France's Walkout: A Sad Adieu

France's dramatic walkout at the United Nations General Assembly yesterday may prove damaging both to the French position and the the prestige of the Free World itself. Coming at a time when the thorny Moroccan crisis seemed to be approaching a final settlement and when French economic readjustment was achieving measurable success, the boycott reflects the obdurate refusal to compromise or consider the position of the other side that has always been so much a part of France's political character.

Few issues, however, have produced such unanimity in French politics as the question on which the French walkout was based. The Afro-Asian bloc in the UN has always considered Algeria as fruitful ground for anti-colonial agitation. The French, on the other hand, have incorporated Algeria into Greater France, granting its citizens the same rights as those of other Departments When the anti-colonial nations attempted to bring up the Algerian question at an Assembly meeting, the French exited, claiming the debate would infringe upon the internal affairs of their country.

Whether or not the French position is correct, the walkout is unjustifiable. Not only is it contrary to the spirit of the United Nations, but it accomplishes nothing positive to still Afro-Asian attacks on French control of Algeria. Effectively, the General Assembly is primarily a discussion forum, where major issues are brought to world attention. The decision-making power in the UN has generally rested with the Security Council. Despite American efforts to delegate more authority to the Assembly, this concept has held true.

The spirit of General Assembly membership, therefore, should be that of listening to all proposals, no matter how unjust they may seem. If the French delegation desired to influence world opinion as to the injustice of discussing the Algerian question, they accomplished little. Having voted to hear the Afro-Asian complaint, the UN members will do so in spite of France's absence.

The walkout, however, has far wider repercussions, whether or not the French carry out their threat not to return. France's closest political and military ties have always been with the West and NATO. The worldwide prestige of the NATO bloc is the responsibility of each member of the organization. By quitting the Assembly, the French delegation may have done irreparable damage to the West's prestige.