THE GLORY OF FOOTBALL

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Most readers must have found your translation of the football description "Der Reporter" quite amusing. I, for one, was delighted to find an outsider's views of the game printed for Americans in a less egocentric context.

Many of us who find football exceedingly dull were amazed at the insights of Herr Beyer. Not only does the "sport" seem to be an instrument of aggression for these oaf-like creatures who are too unintelligent to shoot off their excess energy elsewhere, but sociologically, the mass extravaganza is another of the modern "spectaculars" (similar to the late Roman gladiatorial combats) which are so much a sign of decadence.

The accusation that football players are paid for their dramatics notwithstanding (the communists must translate every action into financial terms), it would seem a desire on the part of each hazy-minded competitor that there is a form of glory to be gained, whether physical or no, from bashing his guts and brains out in a more dashing manner than that of others on the field.

A basic confusion has set in, be it in the minds of the multitude or the business practices of the colleges struggling to gain recognition of one form or another, between skills and sheer physical attempts at masochism.

No matter how this phenomenon is interpreted, however, I say: let us be done with the slaughter of America's feeble-minded youth. I say: let us be done with this bloody destruction of brawny sheep who might be drafted into the armed services better to serve their ideals and their self-destructive tendencies, and as the same time to protect us who subject our minds to the long, endless study of life as it is lived by the truly brave and understanding.

If we are to object against communism, let us do it in a more effective and courageous way than be amusement for the angry crowds, let us feed these warped and twisted souls to the lions that their friends, users of the fifth amendment, and those who believe in any form of cooperative work whatsoever, be it farm subsidies or the "teamwork" we call athletics. Cyrus Mao Kenzie Mendelesogn, 7G