Penn Defeats Soccer Teams; Weak Attack Hurts Crimson

Yale Leads League

By Adam Clymer

PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 29--Pennsylvania knocked the Crimson soccer team out of the Ivy League lead with a solidly earned 2-0 victory that illustrated once again the losers' season-long weakness--a deficient attack.

By winning, Penn moved past the Crimson and went into second place with a record of four wins and one loss. Yale defeated Dartmouth, 4 to 2, today in New Haven, and the Elis remain at the top of the league with three victories and no losses, as the Crimson slipped to third with two wins and one loss.

The Crimson line, shuffled once more as a result of Dick Fisher's broken leg, passed well throughout the game, but displayed marked inaccuracy in shooting. Eight times the Crimson actually kicked shots ever the Penn goal, marksmanship equivalent to missing the rim on eight basketball layups.

Penn Takes Charge

The losers controlled play for the first five minutes, but after Ken McIntosh had missed a clear shot on goal by lofting his kick over the head of Penn's fine goalie, Ray Learsy, Penn braced and took charge for the remainder of the period.

The play in the second period was relatively even, except when Penn scored at 5:50 as Gus Gutierez converted a pass from Bob Hennessy. For the most part, Penn could sustain an attack longer than the Crimson, but quick breaks gave the Crimson better scoring chances, which its poor shooting nullified.

After 20 minutes and 30 seconds of an uneventful third quarter, Penn added the final goal when John Born took a pass from Gutierrez and kicked it past the diving Crimson goalie, Elliot Finkelstein.

Crimson Goal Disallowed

With about a minute to play in the fourth period, the Crimson finally succeeded in putting a shot into the nets, but this tally by Jim Shue was disallowed because of an offside.

The team did not play bad soccer, but obviously was not keyed up for the game, as was Penn. The defense, especially.