Student Cars Flee Ticket Threats, Pack Safer Streets, but Not Garages

In an effort to evade being ticketed by either the University or the Cambridge police, College car owners have been forced to park their vehicles anywhere but in the vicinity of the Houses, a survey taken early yesterday morning has shown.

At the same time, despite the rise in the number of cars registered with the University, local garage owners have reported either a drop in business or a status quo. There have been no increases in the number of students parking at private garages.

Streets like Mill Plympton, Bow and Mt. Auburn, formerly lined with cars from one end of the street tot the other, were practically deserted at 4 a.m. yesterday. But simultaneously with the scarcity of cars on these streets, there was a rise in the numbers parked north of the Yard. Cambridge Street was lined with cars, as were side streets between Cambridge and Kirkland Streets.

Bolyston Street, which escaped ticketing during last week's "crackdown," was filled with cars, as were the "fender alleys" in front if Winthrop and Leverett Houses.

But the Business School Parking Lot, which has been sold out for weeks, had at least 100 empty places for resident vehicles, as well as 250 for commuters and faculty.

No private garage in the Square is filled, and the Harvard Square Garage, the largest in the area, reported a drop from last year's total. It has its entire basement to fill, an estimated 30 cars. "We lost a lot of our customers through graduation," the manager of the garage said, "and we haven't made them back yet." The garage has reduced its rates from $25 and $20 a month to lure back patronage.