Vacant Booth Atop Stadium Draws Bitter WHRB Attack

The broadcasting booth in the foreground of this picture was empty at 5 p.m. yesterday. It will almost certainly still be empty at 2 p.m. today--the time when WHRB begins its Cornell game broadcast from the back row of the Stadium press box.

W. Henry Johnson, director of Sports Information, said last night that he had once again turned down WHRB's request to use the broadcasting booth. It must be kept free so that television cameramen can take shelter there in case of rain, he explained.

Johnston admitted, however, that there was no longer any chance that a commercial radio station would show up to use the booth. He had cited this possibility Tuesday when he first refused the WHRB request.

Meanwhile, Geoffrey M. Kalmus '56, president of the undergraduate station, again accused Johnston of trying to obstruct his organizations's broadcast. Kalmus asserted that the television cameraman was merely the latest of Johnston's "excuses" to avoid letting WHRB use the booth.

"I doubt that there will be anyone in the booth even if it does rain," Kalmus said.

The WHRB head reported that his appeal to Dean Watson Wednesday had not succeeded in winning rights to the booth, since Johnston has final say on the matter.