Student Pledges Yield $100 of $3000 Promised Earlier

Lowest Council Total

By Peter V. Shackter

Only $100 of the $3000 pledged to the Student Council at registration this term has been collected, a Council officer said last night.

Although undergraduates contributed $3800 in cash, Edward M. Abramson '57, Council treasurer said that this year's total, previously expected to set a new record, "will be the smallest in several years if the student body does not fulfill its obligations."

The consequent reduction of available funds "would seriously influence future Council consideration of its scholarships and similar grants," he added.

Most of the pledges came in response to a letter sent out two weeks ago by Council president Albert B. Levin '56, reminding students of their obligations. Abramson estimated that at the present rate, "another $100 to $150 might possibly come in," but pointed out that the total still would fall far behind last year's record of $5100 and 1953's $4700.

The sum collected was especially disappointing, Abramson said, because $3000 was by far the largest amount pledged since 1950-51, when students were last permitted to put contributions on their term bills. Even in last year's total, only $500 was in pledges, and of this, fully half was collected.

Despite the fall in contributions, "the immediate plans of the Council and commitments so far made will be carried out as scheduled," Abramson indicated, "although in future decisions involving financial expenditure, the cost of the project will have to be weighed more heavily than in the past."

He said that this definitely might affect Council action on its scholarships, whose stipends now range from $300 to $500; the German exchange student program, and the beneficiary aid to needy students prominent in extracurricular activities.