Ruggers to Miss Bermuda Contest

The Crimson rugby team will be unable to defend its intercollegiate championship in Bermuda next year, because the University's spring vacation will start on April 1, a week later than other Ivy League colleges. An invitation to the 1956 Rugby Week, scheduled for March 24-April 1, was received yesterday by Art Ticknor, Crimson rugby president.

In previous years, Yale, Princeton, and either Dartmouth or M.I.T. have participated in the Bermuda contests. When contacted last night, all four expressed their intention of making the trip in 1956.

The Bermuda Tourist Association, sponsor of Rugby Week, has instituted a new policy this year by sending the invitations to the athletic associations of the colleges concerned, instead of straight to the rugby clubs. A cover note requests that "a representative be appointed by your association to accompany the team and be responsible for it while in Bermuda."

If this policy, believed to be a result of rowdiness by two of the colleges last spring, is continued in future years, the H.A.A. will consider sending a representative with the team. "But I am sure that the Harvard captain is perfectly capable of looking after his team," Donald M. Felt '49, assistant director of Athletics, said last night.