CCA Minority To Determine New Mayor, Ex-Mayor Says

By Ernest A. Ostro

The CCA minority on the-City Council will determine Cambridge's new mayor, Councillor Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29 said last night.

DeGuglielmo denied any split in the four CCA council members' ranks, and asserted that, by gaining the support of one independent, the Civic Association will "unquestionably" decide who the new mayor will be. "He may or may not be an Association man," he said, "but whoever he is, the new mayor will support CCA policies."

The Civic Association will therefore control the School Committee--now split three to three between CCA and independent members--because the mayor is also committee chairman.

"Our main concern is keeping up the good work of the last school committee, which was controlled by the CCA," exmayor DeGuglielmo stated. "We've definitely lost control of the city council, but at least we want to make sure that the school committee is properly run and so assure the quality of Cambridge schools."

Councillor Hyman Pill yesterday also denied any split in the CCA's council minority. "Each man conducts his own campaign the way he wants," he said, "but those who get elected stick together."

Neither DeGuglielmo nor Pill named any individual preference for the mayoralty. "Everyone's doing a lot of behind the scenes politicing," Pill stated, "but when the CCA gets together, that's it.