Student Council's Food Committee Stalls in Tabulation of House Poll

By Stephen R. Barnett

Members of the Inter-House Food Committee, established by the Student Council last spring to improve the meals served in College dining halls, reported this week that they still had not tabulated the results of a food poll taken in the Houses early in June.

The poll asked students to rate the dining halls' main courses in order of preference. William A. Heamon, Manager of the College Dining Halls, had agreed to follow the poll's recommendations wherever possible by scheduling popular meals more often and discontinuing others.

One member of the Food Committee this week blamed the group's inaction on its chairman, Council member David K. Sirota '56. Sirota, however, complained that the other committee members have shown themselves unwilling to work on the polls.

Levin Dissatisfied

Albert B. Levin '56, President of the Student Council, said he was "not satisfied with the progress of the committee." Levin added, however, that the Council would probably leave it to the House Committees to appoint a new Food Committee or take any other action.

Carl T. Tucker, of the Central Kitchen--in whose five House dining halls the polls were circulated last June--also expressed willingness to cooperate with the group. "But the last I heard they were going to tabulate the polls over the summer, and they haven't contacted me since," said Tucker.

According to Sirots, none of the other committee members would work on the polls in the summer or early fall. However, Herbert H. Schaumburg '56, Lowell House representative, asserted that Sirota had made no effort to contact him since the spring.