Big Red Picked to Win Over Crimson Harriers

The Crimson cross country squad rates as a strong threat, but defending champion Cornell must rule as favorite in this afternoon's Heptagonal Championships at New York City.

The undefeated Big Red not only boasts two-time defending individual champion, Jack Rosenbaum, but has two sophomores who have beaten him frequently this season, and have finished ahead of all opposing harriers. Mike Midler and Dave Eckel are the pair who join with Rosenbaum to give Cornell a trio that may very well take the first three places.

Possessing the only other unbeaten squad in the meet, the Crimson has as its strongest contender Pete Reider, winner of the Big Three Championship this year. But the varsity's main hope is its well-balanced squad, especially important since Cornell has little after its Big Three. Runners on whom Coach Bill McCurdy must count if the team is to place well include two who have been fighting injuries for some time. Captain Don French was unimpressive against Yale and Princeton, but was suffering from a cold, and Al Wills, third in this meet last year, has been injured much of the season.

Other Crimson starters probably will include Dave McLean, Dave Morris, Ralph Perry, Dick Wharton, and Ken Wilson.

Army, Navy Strong

Top threats along with Harvard are Army and Navy. Although their records are not as impressive as their two Ivy rivals, they have faced tougher opponents and posses good depth. Close grouping has characterized both academies' squads this year, and each possesses a strong individual threat. Figured to finish well up with Reider and the Cornell trio are Ralph Stephenson of the Cadets and the Middies' Walt Meukow.

Vodrey and Brow

Jack Vodrey of Princeton, runner-up last year, and Doug Brew of Dartmouth will also contend for the individual crown, but their teams are not rated too highly, and only Penn, outside of the four top teams is conceded even a faint chance of capturing the championship.

Though the Crimson cannot be considered the favorite in the meet over the long Van Certlandt Park course, the team has more than an outside chance for the title it last won in 1939, when it tied with Cornell. And there seems little doubt that it will improve over last year's disappointing fifth-place finish.