Varsity Six Blanks Middlebury

The varsity hockey team gained back most of its lost prestige Saturday afternoon by outhustling and outplaying a talented Middlebury sextet at Watson, 3 to 0. The shutout was the first for goalie Charlie Flynn since the 10-0 Dartmouth slaughter last year and the third in his varsity career.

Two of the Crimson goals were scored while the O'Malley-Cleary-Guttu line was on the ice, and except for Flynn's often brilliant goal-tending, the alert play-making of this trio was the highlight of the game.

These two tallies came within 36 seconds of each other early in the first period while Middlebury was a man short. Terry O'Malley took a pass from center Bob Cleary behind the cage and backhanded it around the left post for the first goal at 3:50. Seconds later defenseman John Copeland scored on a powerful blue line shot that hit the inside of the right post.

Middlebury goalie Ken Farrar made four or five very difficult saves late in the first and third periods which prevented the Cleary line from scoring several more times.

Coach Cooney Weiland alternated Joe Crehore and Albie Wells on his second line with Bob McVey and Bob Owen after the first period in an attempt to spark this potentially fine line. McVey scored the concluding goal at 12:03 of the final period on a 15 foot shot from directly in front of the cage, after taking Owen's pass from the boards.

Weiland also moved Art Noyes, who spent most of last year at defense, back to the blue line again when it became apparent that Mario Celi's injured ankle wouldn't allow him to play.