Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra and Brandeis University Chorus

At Sanders Theatre

By Stephen Addiss

In order to avoid the usual Christmas program of th Messiah, on Sunday night the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra played Beethoven's 9th Symphony. The most that can be said for this choice is that it gave the musicians a chance to perform some magnificent music. From the audience's point of view, however, the choice was unsuccessful. The work is simply too difficult for the student orchestra to manage.

Conductor Attilio Poto's conception of the symphony seemed good, emphasizing both the power and the humor of the music. The Brandeis chorus showed off wonderful soprano and alto sections; the men were somewhat weaker in tone quality. The best of the soloists was tenor Carl Nelson, whose voice was throaty but well-handled. Baritone Edmond had a fine voice but made a false entrance in the solo quartet near the end of the symphony.

The program also included Puccini's Gloria Mass, a work written in the composer's student days. The music was decidedly uneven, containing fine lyrical passages such as a strong theme for unison chcorus at the words "et unam sanctam." Much of the music, however, sounded like an Italian version of second-rate Schubert. It was the piece's first and probably last Boston performance.

Although the concert was not a success, the orchestra has fine woodwinds and a strong 'cello section led by Charles Forbes. They have yet to play any contemporary music this year; careful programming and more rehearsal should result in fine concerts in the future.