Sextet to Meet Providence In 'Tossup' Game at Garden

The hockey team's traditional "conditioning match" against Providence College will be rated strictly as a tossup tonight when the two sophomore-laden teams meet at 9 p.m. in the Boston Garden.

The Crimson sextet could gain the edge, however, if Providence's strong first line is again broken up because Rod German, its high-scoring center, has a thigh injury.

German, who scored three goals and an assist in the Friar's only victory this season against Williams, was sidelined last Friday with a seven-stitch cut he received in a game against Princeton. P.C.'s coach, Dick Random, said last night that it had not yet been decided whether or not German would be able to play tonight.

Although the Friars had been considered a slight favorite for their two weekend matches against the Tigers, they dropped both games, 7 to 4 and 5 to 2. But the varsity, still showing the effects of inexperience with its team completely reorganized from last year, should find the Friars an opponent at least equal to the B.U. sextet which upset the Crimson in sudden-death overtime last week.

At Full Strength

Providence should find a slight advantage in the few veterans in its lineup since these players were mainly responsible for the Friars' spectacular finish last year. In its final game last spring P.C. defeated tourney-bound Clarkson to put the Crimson and St. Lawrence in front for the Eastern N.C.A.A. selections.

The Crimson will again be at full strength when Mario Celi, out with a bury game, lines up beside Pete Summers knee injury during most of the Middle as one defense pair, with John Copeland and Dan Ullyet as the alternate unit.

Coach Cooney Weiland expects to start Captain Charlie Flynn in the goal and Terry O'Mallay, Bob Cleary, and Lyle Gutin on the first line. Joe Credmore will center the second line, with Bob McVey and Bob Owen on the wings.

The Crimson third line, still open to a list of candidates, should also see frequent action tonight.