Cambridge Fire Engine to Migrate West

By Ernest A. Ostro

Cambridge will send one of its fire engines--incognito--on an 1100 mile safari to Kenosha, Wisconsin, early next year.

Meanwhile, police and fire officials have taken intricate security measures to keep the engine--pumper number two--under lock and key. Police cordons were set up around the fire station on Portland St. last night to keep photographers and reporters away. The fire station's personnel barricaded themselves behind locked doors and windows. "Nobody gets in," one fireman said.

The apparatus, damaged in an accident earlier this year, will be driven home to its creators in Wisconsin for an estimated $5,000 repair. The engine's route has not yet been determined, but fire officials in Philadelphia, Cleveland, and Indianapolis, possible stopping places on the trek, plan to give the Cambridge apparatus a warm reception.

Several city Councillors have proposed that the pumper could defray part of the trip's expenses by fighting local fires between here and Kenosha. Councillor Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29 has suggested that repairs could be made by local companies, but Fire Chief Henry E. Kilfoyle assured the city council that "nobody cast of the Mississippi can do the job."

Other council members have suggested that Edward J. Sullivan, the council's only truckdriver, would be a logical choice to drive the pumper across the Mississippi. But Kilfoyle won't let Sullivan near the engine.

Fire department personnel guarding the damaged engine said that they anticipated a Lampoon attempt to sabotage the trip, and had been warned to "keep all Harvard students away from the pumper." Police officials guarding the engine said that the fire department had requested police protection because it could not cope with the situation any longer.