Boston College Beats Crimson Sextet, 5-3

Goalie Flynn Stars

By Charles Steedman

The Boston College hockey team devoted the second period at the Garden last night to demonstrating that it could defeat the varsity, almost at will, and then got the goals in the third period to prove it, 5 to 3.

There was more than one thing wrong with the Crimson, and many things right with the Eagles. From the end of the first period on, the B.C. defensemen, led by big Don Fox, were consistently stopping the varsity rushes at the blue line, and the back checking Eagle wings then intercepted the Crimson attempts to pass.

That was the offensive side of the story. The defensive side found the varsity defense often badly faked out of position, and when it wasn't B.C. wings were left uncovered near the cage.

Despite the obvious Eagle superiority over the last two stanzas, the game was tied 3 to 3 until 5:51 of the final period, when Fox's blue line shot entered the extreme lower left corner of the Crimson cage. The varsity had become quite disorganized and, was bunched around the goal, screening goalie Charlie Flynn.

Late Crimson Surge

Jim Tiernan added the final B.C. tally three minutes later; except for a late surge by the Cleary-O'Malley-Guttu line that was effectively stopped by goalie Chick D'Entremont, the game was over.

Twice in the opening period, the varsity had taken the lead. Lyle Guttu scored unassisted at 4:12 after faking both a defenseman and D'Entremont. B.C. then tied on Carl Marino's goal, but John Copeland put the Crimson ahead again on a long shot at 11:02, assisted by Joe Crehore, who was the most effective varsity player next to Flynn.

The next two Eagle goals demonstrated the Crimson defensive weaknesses. Dick Kane was left completely uncovered on the left wing and converted Paul Sheehy's pass at 15:56. Then at 8:37 of the second period, Myles Cassidy faked Dan Ullyot into the boards, to go in alone and score on Flynn.

Bob Cleary's goal five minutes later tied the game for the third and last time. B.C. had definitely gained control of play and even began to control the puck behind the varsity cage.