Varsity Six Trounces Tufts

13-3 Victory

Two hundred spectators watched the varsity hockey team hand the Tufts sextet a 13-3 defeat in the Garden Saturday, as the Crimson romped to its biggest victory so far this season.

Veteran Joe Crehore, working now on the third line, led the Crimson attack with four goals and one assist. Defenseman Pete Summers tallied twice within 22 seconds of the final period, unassisted both times, and also had two assists to his credit. John Hamlen and Bob Owen both scored twice, Hamlen's goals coming within 40 seconds of each other.

The game wasn't much more than that, a recording of who scored and when. Almost all the play was concentrated in the Tufts zone, and the varsity spent its time setting up scoring plays. Occasionally the Jumbos would make a rush, but the fine work of goalies Charlie Flynn and Jim Bailey, who played the last two periods, allowed them only one goal a period.

The score was 9 to 2 at the end of the second stanza, and it appeared that the Crimson would finish well within double figures. The Tufts defense tightened, however, holding the varsity scoreless for over 15 minutes. Then Summers scored at 15:15 of the last period, unleashing a rush of four tallies in the final five minutes.

Coach Cooney Weiland experimented liberally with his lineup during the game. He shifted personnel on the two defensive pairs, putting Dan Ullyot with Summers and John Copeland with Mario Celi. The third line was a different combination every time it went on the ice, but Crehore centered it throughout. Derick Nicholas, who scord the first goal of the game, Albie Wells, Dave Beadie, and Hamien all played on his wings.