Education To Get More Aid, Keppel States

Government Would Help Construction

Dean Francis Keppel '38 of the School of Education yesterday indicated that the Federal Government will accept the proposal of the White House Education Conference and grant substantial aid for public school construction.

He added, however, that the Administration would probably not supply federal funds to be used for local school operations, including teachers' salaries.

Delegates at the Conference, which ended Thursday, had approved by a ratio of more than two to one the proposition that the federal government should increase its financial participation in public education. The conference representatives divided evenly on the specific proposal of issuing funds for school operation.

Conference Called Impartial

Keppel, a member on the Conference's Final Report Committee, explained that the delegates' decision on federal aid proved that the Conference had not been "stacked," as was charged by several Labor leaders and members of Congress.

"I heard accusations on Monday that Eisenhower's Committee had selected specific delegates in order to be sure that the Conference would not propose federal aid for schools in any way," Keppel said.

He added that he expected the government funds for school construction would amount to "hundreds of thousands of dollars" each year.

In an indirect answer to a special request from parochial school heads, delegates also decided against the use of tax funds for "support of non-public educational institutions."