Late Surge Enables Quintet To Gain 62-55 Opening Win

By Lee Pollak

Bob Hastings and four basketball teammates in varying degrees of good health overcame a ten point half-time deficit last night to defeat Amherst, 62 to 55, in their opening game at the I.A.B.

Hastings scored sixteen points in the amazing second half, while "Ike" Canty and Phil Haughey, two players expected to be out because of illness, provided the varsity with all-important rebound strength.

The scoreboard registered Amherst 37, Harvard 27 at the end of a first half which saw the Crimson outshot and outrebounded by the Lord Jeffs. But seven and a half minutes after the start of the second half the varsity led 42 to 41.

The visitors began the final 20 minutes by increasing their margin to 12 points but Hasting's three lay-ups (one on a steal) and foul brought the home team to within four. An Amherst foul shot broke the string, and then Hastings' eight and ninth straight points, two free throws by Dick Hurley and lay-ups by Bob Bowman and Canty gave the varsity the edge.

The lead switched back and forth until the twelve minute mark, when two foul shots by Bob Barnett put the Crimson ahead to stay.

With three mitnues to play the varsity had a five point lead but two quick Amherst baskets, interrupted by a Haughey free throw, brought the margin down to two points.

With less than 60 seconds left it was Hastings once again who came through with the decisive play. Instead of choosing to freeze the ball, the junior guard spotted an opening and dribbled through for the clinching lay-up.

The Crimson's superiority during the second half is seen most clearly in the shooting statistics. The varsity's field goal percentage was a strong 44 percent, while the Crimson zone defense plus Amherst sloppiness account for the visitors low .241 (seven for twenty-nine) average.

Hastings led the varsity's scoring with 18 points; Hurley was second with 11. Bob Bowman had ten